View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
booksanddolls

Originally Posted by OnTheRise View Post
Just a tiny smidgen I would add (as everyone else has given rock solid advice/input/feedback): be careful of sharing the same therapist, as the possibility of a manipulation of the situation could arise. Example: "Well, Dr. Smith said that I shouldn't drink/use, but I know its just because you told him/her thats the way it should be." I hope you see my point on that. This has happened. It isn't pretty after that. And, of course, its not the Dr. doing anything but their job; and it's not you plotting with the Dr., but in the mind of the addict: "LET THE BLAME GAME COMMENCE." A funny thing that I picture when AW starts shifting blame and justifying (anything) is a second rate magician with the follow the ball in the cup trick but using clear plastic cups; and see it full on with like the really bad lounge lizard tux, and naturally the glass of scotch hidden under the table. Try it, but for (enter diety here)'s sake try not to giggle to his face (bad time). Besides if he REALLY wants help he will seek it out himself. Hope you get a smile from this and a message. And I hope this didn't seem like I'm making light of a situation, it is serious, but serious doesn't have to mean all stern-face and no smiles/laughter. Laughing helps (even sometimes when it's during a serious situation). Don't "rock-on" rocks dont go anywhere--"roll-on".
I actually gave him the name and number of a therapist I don't go to anymore. I was definitely leery of going to the same therapist. For now I'm in Al Anon and when I get settled I'm going to start some therapy/counselling.