Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
GrowingDaily
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Theoretically, I think it's possible. Just like time travel. But I haven't met anyone from the past yet.

Realistically... not so much.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest that all of us have, at one time or another, believed that we could transform ourselves into responsible 'social' drinkers. I have yet to meet one who was successful.

IMO, the desire to try to find a way to drink responsibly is a glaring symptom of the addictive mind. None of us entertain the notion of sobriety without having first suffered greatly. You don't decide to quit something you (think) you love because life is great. So why would you possibly want to work your way back to using a substance that's hurt you?

I mean - if we were discussing anything else besides your addictive drug of choice, would you entertain the same thoughts? If you got mugged & shot walking down a ****-flooded alley in the bad part of town, would you be trying to figure out a way to walk through the alley in safety? Or would it make more sense to just stay out of the filth to begin with?

Now that I've been sober for a while, the question isn't whether I could drink responsibly or not. It's why would I want to? I'm happier now than I ever was when I was drinking - though I didn't realize that at the time. Alcohol truly, in every situation, in any quantity, brought me nothing but sadness. But it took me a while to realize that.