View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
posiesperson

I second what Pelican said. Some people have stayed with their alcoholic and have developed tools for living with that reality.

I thought I would die when I broke up with my alcoholic. My exA was not mean, angry or abusive either--I kept hearing "you would drink too if you had been through what I've been through," and I agreed though that meant I was not the focus in the relationship, the alcohol was. I thought that I had found the love of my life and was letting that go. I feared I would never find love again. It felt like a devastating choice: my happiness, or my love. I spent over a year single, nursing my broken heart, attending Alanon, posting here, grieving, and learning to tend to myself.

I am in a very happy (non-alcoholic) relationship now, both with myself and my significant other. The wise words and shared experience of SR members and Alanon group members made the whole experience SO much easier, as I had hope and friendship in my greatest despair.

I don't know what my exA is up to. And though I am filled with gratitude I also have a desire to stay away. There is nothing else for us to do together--we already did it. And I am grateful for having loved and moved on.

Wishing you peace no matter your path,
posie