Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Do you need to practice AVRT?

I posted this in another thread, but thought it important to re-post here, since the idea that one has to practice AVRT is a common thought after making one's Big Plan, which InsertNameHere has already done. It is a subtle form of Addictive Voice, because it suggests that one needs practice in order to not drink again, as if the Big Plan were an experiment, which it is not. I previously touched on this 'trying it out' theme here as well:

Trying out AVRT :

— TU

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
The only concern (and not much at that) is that where I am going to be living is going to have a fully stocked bar at al times.
Is it you that is concerned, or your Beast that is concerned? If you aren't going to drink again, why should you be concerned? Remember, you Beast will be very concerned about future drinking opportunities, because it knows that you aren't firing blanks anymore. It knows that you are perfectly capable of not feeding it that next drink, and that it will have to sit there and squirm while watching all the other little Beasties partying it up.

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
I say that is a concern but at the same time I am looking forward to it a little as it will be a good opportunity for me to get a Really good base for practising AVRT before I go back to the states where the $hit is everywhere.
Do you need to practice AVRT in order to abstain from now on? If you don't practice AVRT, does that mean you will drink again? Remember, all self-doubt is addictive voice. Set your confidence level for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100%. If it drops, even a fraction of a percent, you are hearing your addictive voice. I would also add that any fear, uncertainty, or doubt (FUD) is usually addictive voice as well. AVRT is a no fear, no uncertainty, and no doubt approach — there are no 'triggers' or 'slippery places' with AVRT.

Henceforth, AVRT will be mostly passive, because your Beast will always make the first move. Whether it does or not should not concern you, however. Your job is simply to stand guard to your stream of consciousness, and recognize any thinking or feeling that supports, or suggests, the remote possibility that you might drink, ever. Alcohol is the most conspicuous substance in the universe for you, though, so this won't be difficult at all. It's like spotting yellow tennis balls coming down a conveyor belt with white ping pong balls.

PS:

If you want to read the few posts leading up to his Big Plan, which might also be instructive, since they also touch on 'practicing', you can find a link to them below. There is also a post on "purposeful suffering" further down, which is also common.