View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
learningnew

Originally Posted by Jerytoms View Post
I told him I want to help him and be there to support him throughout this recovery that as long as were making positive steps forward and the problem doesn't continue or get worst I will be there for him.
I believe that supporting loved ones during their struggle to get sober is really important. However if they are not making efforts to get sober than what are you supporting?

I am really sorry you're going through such a rough time. I've been in a similar situation and nothing changed until I started going to Naranon and Alanon meetings and realized I needed to make major changes in my own behavior for my own well being. I had hit MY bottom. But it was wonderful to find support in meetings to realize I wasn't alone and there was hope.

One of the changes I made is similar to what you said you were going to do. I set a firm boundary with my wife and told her I would only be with her if she was active in recovery. There is some grey area in what active in recovery means but I have stuck to that and it has been one of the best decisions I've made for both of our paths in recovery.

I hope things are getting better for you!