Thread: Suicidal AS
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
December2011

Hi Seeking Growth,
You are right to be concerned about the suicide talk. I am in no way trying to scare you, but I knew someone young who tried to commit suicide while being on Wellbutrin.

Suicide is one of the side effects of anti-depressants and young people on them must be closely monitored. Her attempt was not to get attention; she was in critical care for a couple weeks. Taking other drugs with anti-depressants can increase the risk of suicide and it also gives the person the means to do it-overdose.

Perhaps you could talk to your son’s doctor and let him know there has been a threat, also, you may try calling the county mental health and at least they might evaluate him.

You are in a difficult and tricky situation, and I know that suicidal threats are common ground in addicts. Let’s face it- they usually feel horrible about themselves, so they probably do think about suicide, but they also use that tactic to manipulate us.

I have to tell you I am not qualified at all to tell you what to do; I think you may need to talk to a professional that deals with addiction. I think that would help- Maybe you could make an emergency appointment?
Take care