View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
pentuate

No, the 'just for today' thing it is not the same as the never-ending now of AVRT, not by a long shot. Compare and contrast:

"I will never now drink."

with

"I will not drink today."

Do you see what is missing? The key word is 'never'. The corresponding analogue with one day as a time measure would actually be:

I will never drink on any given day. (regardless of what day it is)
I see what you are saying but practically speaking if followed, meaning that if you follow a daily "I will not drink today no matter what", you will also never drink. Stating that you will not drink today does not mean you can drink tomorrow. Your not even thinking about tomorrow. As soon as you wake up, if you are following a today plan, you are not going to drink. There is no more out with a today statement than there is with a never statement... both require a follow through or are just words imo.

Bingo. I will never drink again is not a saying. It is a truth that you feel.

I am a type 2 diabetic. When I was diagnosed and went to class to learn how to control my diabetes I learned that I could never eat sugar again, as well as some other stuff. At that moment right there I decided I will never eat sugar again.

That was 5 years ago. My mind set did a 180 and I didn't use sugar, I didn't eat candy and sweets and deserts with sugar, sugar was no longer part of my life.
Anyway the never term feels
The difference for me though was I didn't go into it with this attitude, I just wanted to quit. It was after a year into the quit and going through all of that that I realized that I didn't want to go through that again.