View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by pentuate View Post
Ok ... so I guess we are kind of saying the same thing. If I say I will not drink today no matter what and follow though with it, and as everyday you could possibly think that it is today, I am essentially behaving in a way where I will never drink, but without saying never. So in sense most day at a time statements are really never statements if followed.
No, the 'just for today' thing it is not the same as the never-ending now of AVRT, not by a long shot. Compare and contrast:

"I will never now drink."

with

"I will not drink today."

Do you see what is missing? The key word is 'never'. The corresponding analogue with one day as a time measure would actually be:

I will never drink on any given day. (regardless of what day it is)

I also know that people have quit drinking and other drugs and destructive habits using different strategies and techniques.
I don't particularly care if you use AVRT or not, pentuate, and you are welcome to use whichever method you like. You inquired about AVRT, though, so I am giving you the view 'through the lens' of AVRT, so to speak.

Is the thinking here that lets say you used antabuse and got 6 months in and then stopped taking it, because you didn't make a big plan or are not coming from an I will never use again mindset that you will just pick it up again?
AVRT is patterned after the Addictive Voice itself — which is ruthless and unforgiving in order to maintain the addiction — effectively matching the Addictive Voice point for point. In the logic of AVRT, the absence of a plan never to drink is a plan, now, to drink at some point. Furthermore, AVRT is a voracious mind-set that devours anything that poses as a condition of lifetime abstinence, including antabuse.