View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by pentuate View Post
I have a problem wrapping my head around how wanting antabuse in order to abstain is the addictive voice. It may involve it but wanting to take something to help one quit, what could mean the end of the av influence and the end of drinking, seems to me to be a rational thing to do and contrary to the beasts/av ultimate goals.
You have not made a Big Plan for permanent, unconditional abstinence, so there is no separation as of yet between you and the Beast. As such, you will never be able to recognize all the variations of AV, which can also be understood as anything that contradicts the Big Plan. That said, Antabuse is of no use to people who will never drink. If you aren't going to drink again, what is the purpose of taking Antabuse? By taking Antabuse, you are essentially saying "yes, I do want to drink again, and I probably will, too."

The AV is actually playing a fake on you. While Antabuse actually proves that absolutely no one is powerless over desire -- otherwise everyone would drink even with Antabuse -- the AV will instead use it as 'proof' of how incompetent you are to abstain. It will inevitably say "see, you are powerless before me, since without this insecticide in your body, you would be drunk!" You can also bet that no Beast in its right mind would ever take Antabuse for very long, which explains why so few people take it in a disciplined manner.

Your doctor probably has a good reason not to prescribe it to you, though, since it does have side effects. Personally, I would only see a benefit if it were used on an extremely limited basis, such as a week or two, just long enough to do something more substantial, like learning AVRT and committing to permanent abstinence. Also, since you mentioned rationality, while the name of the company is Rational Recovery, AVRT is not necessarily rational.

Originally Posted by pentuate View Post
Yes i have taken it and have read most of those threads but have not read the book.
I would recommend that you read the book, since it is far more comprehensive than the free crash course. If you are concerned about the cost, you can find use copies online for $1, or under $5 with shipping.