View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by pentuate View Post
Sometimes I wish I could get a hold of some antabuse (doc won't prescribe it), even just to take it like once a week or something, within its window of effect, because I know I would not drink on it, and it would take the whole drinking thought battle out of the equation. I would just have to feel my urges with no possibility of being able to drink. That would be perfect.
Pentuate,

The definition of the Addictive Voice is: "Any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports or suggests the possible future use of alcohol or drugs -- ever."

Your desire for Antabuse in order to abstain is pure Addictive Voice, because it suggests that without Antabuse, you may, or indeed will, drink again. That said, AVRT is 'intellectual antabuse', and accomplishes the exact same thing -- it takes the 'battle' out of the equation.

I may respond more later, but you should read the following posts, which address some of your questions.

Given the nature of your questions, though, I have to ask:

1. Have you taken the free crash course on AVRT at the RR web site?

2. Have you read the book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction?

3. Have you read through the main AVRT thread?