Thread: Suicidal AS
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Hello...

Suicidal ideation is a tricky thing to deal with. On the one hand, you have to take something like that very seriously. On the other hand, it can be, as often is, the cruelest form of manipulation. Most people that talk about ending their own life really don't want to die; what they want is to not feel pain. My suggestion? If he's threatening suicide and your gut tells you he's in danger, call the cops on him, and if it's determined that he's a threat to himself or others, they'll hospitalize him.

What I like about your post is you've set a boundary with him -- he can't live with you. Now it's up to you to maintain that boundary for your own well-being. You can't help your son. You can't make him take his meds. You can't stop him from using. You have to allow your son to make his own decisions and pay the price for those decisions.

I also suggest, if you haven't already done so, find a local Nar Anon or Al Anon meeting near you. You need to heal as well, and while coming to the board is a great first step, it doesn't compare to listening to others share their wisdom and being able to interact with each other.

Please take care of you.

ZoSo