Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Krystal32

Gurlie, I know exactly how you are feeling. I was so nervous and excited when my fiance came home from rehab after doing 50 days. We have a 19 month old together and he also asked for his daddy on a daily basis. I too was so happy that he was going to get to see him. I think it's great that you get a little taste of him being home before he actually comes home for good. And I can soooo relate to how peaceful everything has been since it's just been you and your kids. My son and I had a good routine going every day and it was well, like you said, peaceful. For me when my fiance came home it was so nice to see his face and see how healthy he looked. He put on a good amount of weight and he just looked happy. He's been home for almost a month now and the range of emotions I have experienced have been pretty overwhelming. Mostly what I've learned is it's going to take a while before I can trust him again. Those fears are going to take a long time to subside. I have to see for an extended amount time that he's committed to staying sober. I'm the type of person that expects everything to be all better instantly (I know, very unrealistic) and it's been tough learning to trust again but we are working on it. We make sure to keep communicating with each other and talk whenever something is bothering him or me and the talks we have had have helped so much cause it has shown me his commitment. I really thought he was going to be this completely different person and I wasn't going to know how to act around him but he's still the man I fell in love with, just no drugs anymore. He's happier and has a much more positive outlook on life.

My suggestion to you is to take things one day at a time. They say that all the time and I cannot stress enough how true that is and how much it helps to stick by that. Everything takes time and that's the thing I've had the hardest time accepting but I'm working on it. We are working on learning how to be a family again. Also, what couldn't be stressed to me enough from friends on here and from his counselors is his recovery is his own and it's all in his hands. How he works his program and maintains his sobriety is on him. If your husband wants to talk and share his experiences with you (things that he experienced in rehab) then that's great, that's how my fiance is but at the same time it's good to remember not to push them to talk either. It's going to take some adjusting but you guys will get there. My family is still right in the middle of it ourselves and it helps to know that there are people out there who can relate. Anytime you need to talk or just vent please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. Seems like we can really relate to each other

I know you're nervous but enjoy being reunited. I hope all goes well this weekend for you, you will be in my thoughts

Take care
Krystal