View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wicked

He will not receive any jail for a first time DUI. The criminal justice is way to overcrowded for that. It takes 45 days from date of arrest until your license becomes suspended. In my state car insurances do not find out about the DUI because it is not a conviction. You do need a breath machine now though for even first time offenders. Also, he will probably have to attend some brief "alcohol school" type program. The truth is some folks who are non-alcoholics get DUI's as well. If they label him as a higher risk or alcoholic then the hoops will be greater to jump through.
Justfor1,

I know this is off topic for this thread. We can move it if you like.
What does this mean? "car insurances do not find out about the DUI because it is not a conviction." Are you saying a DUI does not affect your license status or the amount of insurance you pay? Please tell me what state this is in.

And that last sentence about "the truth is some folks are non-alcoholics get DUI's as well (yes they do, if they are caught driving under the influence). They pay the same consequences as the alcoholics, it is usually the non-alcoholic will get the message, and NEVER do it again.
I am an alcoholic and never in my life got a DUI. Does that make me a non alcoholic driver or better than anyone else?
No, it makes me one lucky drunk.
I am probably reading your reply with the heart of an alcoholic.
Who labels him a higher risk? The insurance company. Why? Well statistics bear them out. Every single time.

As the ex wife of an addicted (crack) and alcoholic spouse who lost his license, I can say the DUI affects the whole family while my spouse moaned and cried about how unfair it was, the cop was out to get him, there was only a joint in the ashtray and a beer in his lap.
I had to drive that idiot everywhere (and I include my codependent self in there as idiot driving) to drunk classes, to work, home from work, pick/up drop off kids, all appointments for kids and court appearances for him to blow every week.

Everything costs money. The whole damn mess. I volunteered until I could take no more. He would not take responsibility for his f** ups and I was tired of working full time and cleaning up after him.

Beth

I feel better. I am sorry Justfor1, but something you said about "non-alcoholics getting DUI tickets" set me off.
Time for some step 4 work.

:rotfxko