View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Originally Posted by Jerytoms View Post

Ever since I confirmed that he was using again I've been physically sick over it just because I don't know what to do and feel that it's such a huge battle I don't know if I have it in me to stick it out with him but at the same time I don't know if I have it in me to leave him and be worried everyday about his well being.
Sticking with him does not ensure his wellbeing. You are not that powerful. None of us are. Sticking it out with him implies this is a temporary set back.
It's not.

Rehab does not cure addiction. Best case, it's an opportunity for a highly motivated addict to learn some of the tools of recovery.

This guy is 27, living at home and likely driving a car owned and insured by his parents. He's a decade behind most 27 year olds, common stuff for addicts. He's using that car to score his dope and likely driving while under the influence of dope.

While you remain in this uncertain state, please protect your money, credit/debit cards and any valuables. Do not loan him money or your car. Double up on birth control as STDS and other nasty stuff are common with addicts. Parenthood does not cure addiction.

Avoid getting into his car cause you don't know what's stashed in it ( dope and/or stolen goods) and you can find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Please take some time to separate the hopeful fantasy of who you want/need him to be from who he is, right now.