View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kmangel

Originally Posted by Jerytoms View Post
IThe problem I am experiencing is that if I tell his mom she will kick him out and take his truck which would just end up being a downward spiral for him so I don't think that will help.
This would probably be the best course of action to take by his mother if her son is actively using. Trust that your boyfriend has a choice--get help to recover or not. If he chooses the course of not getting help, then losing privileges like a roof over his head and a vehicle to drive are self inflicted. No one is making him use and abuse drugs. If taking away privileges ends up being a downward spiral, then he can choose to do the right thing to stop the spiral.

What might happen is he might want to move in with you when his mother kicks him out. Now that is something to think through carefully!

As far as the truck goes, my son moved out last month and the car he had been driving (which belongs to me and my husband) stayed here. He has a suspended license. It's not hurting him one bit not having access to a car. There are busses that he can hop onto. I told him when he gets his license back, a job, and money to pay the insurance on the car, he can have the car back, but until then there are busses. We'll see what the future holds, whether he ever gets the car back, but for now he's having to learn to adjust to not having easy transportation.