Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Krystal32

Hi hopeful and welcome

I too am in a similar situation as you. My fiance just got home from rehab on the 20th of last month (he did 50 days, he's addicted to painkillers and Xanax) and all the emotions I have felt since he's been home have been SO overwhelming, something I wasn't ready for at all. Of course it was easy to keep my emotions in check when he was away but it's a totally different ball game once they are home. The fear of things going back to how they were before he went in is always there with me and as a good friend put it to me, it will always be there, it will just lessen the longer he maintains his sobriety. There's always the possibility of him relapsing but I try my best not to focus on that and just take things one day at a time. This site has been very helpful to me. Reading other people's stories and experiences and also reading the stickies on this forum have been a lifesaver. I also have a very good friend that I have made through this site and all of that has helped keep me grounded when I feel like things are getting to be too much. Like I said, my fiance has only been home a short amount of time and what I've learned so far is all I can do is watch his actions and step back and let him take on his recovery in whatever way works best for him and I have to remind myself to focus on my recovery as well. There's nothing I can say or do that's going to make him use or stay clean. What I have learned to do is love him and support him in a HEALTHY way, NO MORE enabling. It's so so scary to step back and leave it in gods hands but that's all we can do. I really do wish the best for you and your husband and I do hope he stays on the road of recovery once he's out. Good luck to you both

Krystal