Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
I will grant that many people need to detox first before they will be able to understand much of AVRT. Trying to do so drunk or while going through withdrawal is a complete waste of time.
Trying to do anything while in active addiction is a complete waste of time. That's why so many bemoan that "nothing" works. A period of not drinking/using is necessary for one to wrap their head around any method. That is true in or out of AA, whether it's acknowledged or not.

Originally Posted by OnlyTheTruth
I have had an "entire psychic change", too, since I quit drinking.
Me too. I think there is a huge misconception that a "psychic change" cannot occur without it being specifically "taught". Anyone who has come out of active addiction has "gone to any lengths" to do so. The hard work that individuals put in is often diminished if it is not specific program work. I was once addicted to substances, yes, but I was never stupid. Once my addiction was stopped (ie quit putting substances in my body) it was quite easy to figure out how I wanted my life to be and go about doing things to get it that way.