Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sugarbear1
~sb

DS, the AA program will not work until you commit to staying stopped. Once stopped, then dig in to the AA program, and choose to work it fully. (I was giving options, but I only have AA experience)

AA never made sense to me, and at 300 days, it still doesn't "make sense" to me. I do know that working ALL of the steps has given me a psychic change necessary for me to want to continue working the steps in all of my affairs (to quote the big book). I've had an experience I've tried to explain, still doesn't make sense, & I owe my life to it. I have experienced and have witnessed people relapsing when they stop on any of those 12 steps.

I never worked the first 3 steps until I moved forward with the rest of the steps, which is why I have a guide (sponsor) I continue to work with. I am not told whether or not I should be in a relationship or how to do my taxes by this person, rather I am guided through my spiritual journey. Paradoxical, nonsensical, often illogical. This is the AA program in my life. Really odd, in many ways.

My sponsor doesn't repeat the slogans we hear in the meetings of AA, doesn't believe in daily meetings, but does advocate spirituality, working the steps, and maintain a continuous dialogue with sponsees. A dictionary is needed when speaking with this sponsor. Always an explanation of why a specific definition is more appropriate than another.

I don't know enough about any program other than AA, so I have no other personal experience to share. For AA to work, answer one question:

Are you truly committed to sobriety? If the answer is "yes" move through those 12 steps without stopping.

I wish you sobriety,