View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NoTears

Antabuse worked miraculously for me.

I would be at work and have the usual after-crappy-interaction thought of "can't wait to get home and dive into my wine" thought, then the follow up "oh, took antabuse, can't" thought, and that would be it - I guess my brain agreed that it wasn't an option and didn't spend any more time fizzing about it.

There was adjustment of course. Going out to dinner and being perplexed about what to do when the waiter first stopped by for the drink order. Getting home and not pouring a glass before I even took off shoes or coat - that'll give you a good case of the something's missings. What to do on Sunday. But those were habits, not cravings.

Once that ended I quit taking the antabuse, but I keep it around just in case and plan to always.

I think I'm really lucky the way it worked out, I never expected it to be so easy, but it was. I now take a high-octane sleeping pill to take the night terrors out of the equation and I think that sleeping well gives me the emotional resources to deal with most things in an acceptable way.

That's my experience.

oh yeah, antabuse is dirt cheap too.