Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tjp613

My 21 yr old son has been on heroin for at least 9 months that I know of...could be longer. He was addicted to pain pills before that for probably 1.5 years. (They are really one in the same addiction--opiates.) I can't tell you what the most effective route is because we certainly have not found one. His addiction is as strong as ever no matter what WE do.

He's been homeless since January 31 and that seems to be getting his attention but really it's only made his whining a little louder and his promises of "really cleaning up this time" sound a bit more believable. But after having been snake-bit about 100 times, my boundaries are getting much stronger.

If he "hasn't done a single thing" to invest in his recovery, then I would advise you (based on MY experience) to start cutting your losses as much as possible, tell him he has one week to make other living arrangements, and learn how to cope with the tough days ahead with therapy, Al-Anon and the SoberRecovery F&F forum.

Just my hard earned $0.02.

((((Hugs)))) I know it hurts like hell and you're more frightened than ever. I'm sorry