View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tjp613

Originally Posted by elle88 View Post
Thanks, washbe2, those are really some helpful words.
It's hard for me to think that he is still lying, lying even about how much he is using. Lying about being ready to quit.
I see that he could be, & probably is. He is so good at lying to me, though. He seems so incredibly honest.
I remember times where I would accuse him of something and we would get into this long argument & I would end up feeling guilty and apologizing to him. And a few days later, I would find out I was right.
He is so good at lying, and I know that, and it depresses me when I think about it.
Hi Elle -- Welcome to SR. I'm glad that you found us.

What you have described above is so very, very typical of both addict behaviors and or own responses. Many of us have been down that same road--for me it has been 6 years with my son. He's now shooting heroin, too. I can tell you that after 2 days he goes into terrible withdrawal symptoms and I really don't think that a heroin user can just limit it to once a week. I could be wrong, but I do know this one thing: even after detox the urge to use remains VERY strong for a VERY long time. "They" say it's one of the hardest drugs to kick. My son has detoxed in medical facilities, rehab, on his own, with the aid of suboxone treatment....you name it....but he can't go more than 4 days and he's back at it (unless he is institutionalized).

Please....stick around SR and read all you can about heroin addiction and addictive behaviors in general. Unfortunately the stories are all pretty much the same even though at first we want to believe that our addicted loved one is unique, or that they're not "that bad".

Heroin's addictive qualities are extremely powerful and the withdrawal symptoms are extremely uncomfortable. My son has been using many drugs over the years but I've never seen him totally consumed like he is with heroin. He can't stop using because he can't get past the withdrawals and cravings. He just can't. He's lost everything now and he's only 21.

Please let us know how we can support you. We are concerned about how YOU are taking care of YOU. Again, welcome!