Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
GirlFromCO

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
The problem is compounded by the fact that once your body has 'learned' how to adapt to the presence of ever-increasing amounts of alcohol, it will never forget how to do so.
That makes sense. So because I had a problem with alcohol once, I will always have a problem with it, biologically speaking, no matter where my head is at currently.

The feral cat analogy made me laugh, btw. Sitting beside me currently is a once feral cat my husband and I picked up, thinking she was abandoned. Once we got her home we realized - no, this is a wild beast who hates us. It was a total nightmare for longer than I care to think about, but my persistence won out in the end. We made friends and she's friendlier than any of our "normal" cats now. It's been three years. She follows me around the house like a dog and drools when I scratch her ear the right way.

LOL, anyway, I told you I'm stubborn. Maybe that's why it's taken 8 months for me to get my head wrapped around this. The truth is, I really don't want to drink again. And I'm coming to the realization that I'm not going to. Ever.

Ha! I think I just had a "come to Jesus" moment.