Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by GirlFromCO
But isn't that saying that alcoholism is a... disease?
Alcohol affects the way the brain was meant to naturally function. It messes with receptors and confuses the way that information is channeled along pathways and processed. If I put sugar in the gas tank of a car, it messes with it's ability to run properly, if at all. Is the car diseased?

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
It just isn't designed to process it in the amounts we tend to take it in.
This is true...and further, even in small amounts there is still an action on the brain. For me, even if I could maintain the "buzzed" level and drink safely, I would not. The experience of the awakening that you described GFC is similar to what I have gone through (sans the spiritual part). Even slight fuzziness or buzzing would obscure the crispness of how I see life now. This sounds wierd, but even in the hardest times, I take comfort in being able to fully experience the rawness of life. The joy, the pain....I don't want any of it blurred even a little. I realize that is just me, and by sharing this in no way expect it to be a goal for others.
Originally Posted by GirlFromCO
I just need to talk it out, you know?
Yes, I do know. I am glad you're here no matter what you decide.