Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober4metoday
recovering using AVRT

Congrats on 8 months!

In my 20 year drinking history I managed to do what most alcoholics dream of doing and that is going from drinking like an alkie to drinking like a "normal person" (with "dream" being the key word). So yea, I drastically reduced the frequency and amount I drank (several times per week to once or twice per month for the last few years). Turns out I was only kidding myself. I still was an alcoholic no matter how often or how much I drank. You see, I destroyed any possibility of having a "normal" relationship with alcohol by abusing it to begin with. That dream is just a pipe dream. It took me many years to see (rather I should say "accept") this. As long as I was continuing to drink then I couldn't mentally or emotionally separate from the guilt, the shame, everything that comes with being an alcoholic bring to your life. Drinking in moderation doesn't exist for me anymore - in the last several years I still drank 3x more than any normal person would anyways. I'm no longer going to try to fool myself. I will never drink again.

Having admitted to a problem with alcohol I would ask you to strongly reconsider attempting what few (if any) alcoholics have successfully done before.