Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't accept any of the disease models either.

Originally Posted by langkah
They can't correct the last 60 years of course,
It doesn't matter how long the theories have been around. Length of time doesn't always equal reliable fact. I've posted about this before, but it was as recent as the 1970's that Autism was thought to be caused by a lack of bonding by the mother. The term "refrigerator mothers" was used (google if interested). This was accepted and disseminated by the medical community, for several decades. Children were taken from their mothers to be cured by the state. Women swore they loved their children, only to be told by professionals that they in fact did NOT love them, and had permanently disabled them because of it. Much damage was done to many, and children grew into adults without proper interventions. Of course, although today we still don't know the cause of Autism, we do know today, as a medical fact, that it does not stem from lack of bonding.
My point in all this is that accepting theory as fact can sometimes be dangerous. If the disease model of addiction in anyway enables some to continue in active addiction and even die, then a disservice has been done. When/if the medical community changes it's mind, an "oops....sorry" isn't enough.