View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by mybabycolt View Post
We have talked with a couple of counselors, but they don't seem to offer any help. They just ask him, "How does that make you feel" answer: "Bad". ~~ as if we didn't already know that.
First, I think you're doing really well by making him your first priority, its unbelievably hard to live/grow up in a situation like that. I lived with my heroin-addict father all my life and it can have some devastating effects.

I'm glad you've tried to get him some counseling -- keep trying. Eventually, he will hit a breaking point where he's going to open up a bit more...might not be just yet but he will. Who knows, he might also not feel comfortable saying what he wants to say with you in the room too. Try to remember the counseling is for him to express his feelings in a safe place, not for you to learn things about him necessarily.

I applaud your efforts, I wish I had a mother like you who didn't just push her children under the rug and focus entirely on the addicted person. Like all the others have said, please do take a look at Cynical's blog (the post above), even I have found it helpful when figuring out my own issues.