Thread: What's my move?
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lesliej

kimslilypad...

you are in the right place and I know tjp didn't mean to kick you. I think sometimes we who have suffered and have done huge amounts of work to try to get to a better place can get a little edgy...I hope you don't take it too personally and I hope you keep reading as much as you can and reaching out.

my reaction to your post is pretty calm, however earlier today I might have reacted differently. maybe I wouldn't have posted my feelings but I would have felt them...

your statement: "I know that I am strong enough and smart enough to help him..." if read at a vulnerable point in time (like I felt earlier today) can read almost like "you" are strong enough and smart enough...where everyone else here has fought really hard to finally, finally, finally accept that there is really nothing we can do.

I just recently walked away from the love in my life, because I realized that his drug use has absolutely nothing to do with how smart, or strong, or even how much I love him...it has everything to do with how smart, strong, and how much he loves himself.

I hope you keep reading. I hope you find yourself strong enough and smart enough to help yourself. being with someone who spends all the resources on drugs doesn't sound like a creative joyful loving life partner to me...but I also can understand that maybe you really have just made your decision that "him on drugs" is better than "no him"...I stood at that turning point and I decided differently, and we all need to decide for ourselves.

if you want to "motivate" him there are such things as successful interventions...google around on intervention practices...but read the fine print, it probably says something about the addict needing to have a pretty major amount of internal motivation rather than your external motivation

peace to you...keep coming back!