View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NoelleR

"...Other than the available literature, I have not found much difference. The folks that attend both kinds of meetings come from the same background. It's just more practical for the two programs to work together since there is so much overlap..."

Hmmm, I think I gotta disagree with this.....I've found quite a bit of difference between the two,.....and, both from the same background.....? Not true, from my experience.....

Let's get a bit of definition here..............:

1) An Alanoner is a person who is a relative or friend of (or has some kind of current relationship with) an alcohol/addict. Although many Alanoners may have grown up in homes with alcoholic/addict family members, this has nothing to do with their current status as an alononer.....;

2) An ACA/ACoA is NOT just an adult who grew up in an alcohol/addict as a child. An ACA/ACoA is an adult, who as a child grew up in an alcoholic/addict home, AND today, when confronted regresses to a stage in his/her childhood. Although an ACA/ACoA may be a relative or friend of (or has some kind of current relationship with) an alcohol/addict, but this has nothing to do with their status as an ACA/ACoA.

(the following is just my opinion and experience)
Just as an alcoholic in the rooms of AA (per se), doesn't want to listen to an addict talk about his/her drugs and/or drug cravings.....they just don't relate.....well, an Alanoner wouldn't want to listen to an ACA/ACoA discussing his/her latest struggles with his/her recurring childish temper tantrums....they wouldn't relate; also, an ACA/ACoA wouldn't want to listen to an Alanoner discussing his/her ire with his/her spouse's alcohol abuse and antics.....they wouldn't relate.....

IMNSHO I feel that just as AA and NA are separate; AA and Alanon are separate; NA and Naranon are separate; AA and OA are separate; .....well, you get the idea; I believe that Alanon and ACA/ACoA should be separate.

(o:
NoelleR