View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KelleyF

I think I had a break through regarding the purpose of therapy; talk therapy.

you don't necessarily have to be seeking emotional relief ( as in from pain/suffering); you can also just be seeking clarity on your own thoughts .

Ok so I know it may sound pathetic - but I'm a newbie at all this; so for me it's a big step in my thought process.

Anyway, it came about because of the thread on Forgiveness' - so I just wanted to post it here:

I think that in order to truly be happy, you have to be able to allow yourself to
let emotions in, and then just as freely let them out. There is a sense of freedom; a sense of control when you realize that you may have been a victim of another’s actions; but you are the only one in control of your emotional response and all future interactions with them.

I realized that in the past; I’ve not really had a problem forgiving people; but along with that I usually cut ties with them completely; or distanced myself as much as possible. It seems like my opinion of them changes and I just lose the ability to trust them again; it’s not even that I’m angry; I’m just done. And I really don’t feel bad about cutting them out; which makes me sound sort of heartless.

Hmmm… that is weird … so why did I not feel the need to cut out the BF? It’s because I still trust him. But why do I feel that way? (Now I’m thinking good therapy question)