View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

Lost3000, those other events you described, getting married, buying a home, receiving degrees, they all took a lot longer than 60 days to accomplish. They were things that took years and indeed an entire lifetime to work toward. They were huge milestones in your life that were evidence of achievement and perseverance. I think it's a little much to ask for that same sense of fulfillment after 60 days of not drinking.

By no means am I discounting your time in recovery. 60 days is AWESOME. But just hang in there a little while longer. The true blessings in recovery, at least in my experience, take a bit longer to materialize. And one day you'll like back and not think, "Wow, I've gone X number of days without drinking," but rather, "Oh my goodness, look at all the blessings I've received in my life since I put down the booze!" My progress in recovery isn't measured by the amount of time I've put together without a drink, but the ways my life has changed since I had my last one.

Good on you for trying to turn your life around. Unfortunately it doesn't all happen immediately. It's like you were barreling down the highway 100mph in a fully loaded 18-wheeler, and you realized the road was out ahead of you. You know you've got to turn that thing around, but you can't just rip the emergency break and pull a 180. You've got to slow down and start carefully attempting to turn around that massive beast that's running fast and nearly out of control. But once you get there, you'll see nothing but open road ahead of you.