Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Bob36 View Post
I work in venues as a musician. No way in hell Im giving up my career just to stay sober- Id frankly rather die of addiction. That said the absolute EASIEST times have been when at gigs- I came to a 12 step program because I was broke on coke and my nose was falling in and my heart was beating in 5/4 time (not literally)
I have used once since my initial sobriety- but it was in a situation where I hadn't made a concrete commitment not to (was having a long work day- craving came from out of the blue). In every "dangerous" situation I had free liquor, and literally bags of coke and weed waved in my face. I had simply decided that in order for me to play I couldn't continue to imbibe.
When I used I was always derisive of people who made a problem out of something they simply enjoyed doing ( the concept of recoveryism on the RR site made me laugh aloud) . I was able to moderate most of my habits through doing things that counter balanced (the gym mostly) Coke changed all that. My little itty bitty sobriety time has not been fraught with fear or self doubt. I initially wanted to get off just coke because I didn't feel other stuff was a problem. I included the other stuff because beer is a trigger for coke (pot not so much- then decided why not?)
I think learning to identify Addictive Voice is an excellent concept- one in which I was immediately able to do with Bars because my self interests are plain as day- I need to be on stage jamming my ass off- and I can no longer be ****** up doing that.
If you love music- you will experience it much more deeply and derive strength from the freedom of dancing etc if you are sober- it is very good for the mind and body. My last craving that I succumbed to was at my day job- aha- those are the situations I have to figure out the anatomy of my lower power (Im trademarking that because The Beast is apparently taken- joke)
I love this ****- its joy. I still want to go to meetings- but mostly because I just have a soft spot for people struggling. I like encouraging people. can't explain it. Its too soon to really tell- but I have a strong suspicion I am no longer a prisoner of addiction - because the fact that it no longer feels good, coupled with the immediate happiness I feel at having decided to be sober sort of makes sad sacking and limiting myself seem a bit pointless. Sorry for the ramble.
I'm guessing you will find it quite interesting as you integrate your AVRT skills with your participation at recovery group meetings.