Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jv369
01/28/2017

when i first sobered up in 06 i think i managed about 6-8 serious withdrawals before recovery took. i was drinking at your level or more and experienced the symptoms you experience when i was without booze. i tried to detox by myself once, i ended up not eating, drinking water or sleeping for 36 hours. i couldn't even walk at the end i was shaking so bad, i was hallucinating and hearing things. the last coherent thing i did was call 911 and they found me on the front lawn in very bad shape.

all other times i detoxed in a detox facility. no doubt about it, alcohol withdrawal is very dangerous. from what you describe i would not consider doing it without medical supervision. i remember having to wait for a bed in detox like you, my parents at the time didn't understand that i couldn't stop drinking until i got a bed but they eventually got informed by a few doctors.

if you can't wait for detox then go see a doctor. another option is tapering, but that can be very difficult for an active alcoholic to achieve. in all the time i drank i managed to do it once to quit, and it does work. i never could do it again after that.

one more thing, once you detox make a plan for your recovery. i went through pure hell 8 times before sobriety stuck......and i still managed to relapse 4.5 years later. be vigilant, and do it for yourself.