View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MsGrace

Thank you for your post. Recovery doesn't really have an age I think...we all have experienced the saddness and the anger and the heartache of addiction.

What I discovered is that recovery really was all about me. As I got serious about recovery myself, I began to change. Al Anon was so helpful in pointing me in the right direction. The pain we feel is not restricted to an age.

But back to my point: as we begin to recover, to heal, to re-build our self esteem, we WANT that change. A stronger, clearer version of ourselves. The people we attracted into our lives or put up with in our lives also must change when we do, in many cases. When I re-discovered my own self worth, I no longer had a tolerance for those that would abuse me in any way. That doesn't mean that we don't have feelings when those people must be culled from our personal sphere, but that process is a positive one.

I attracted an entirely new group of friends who honor themselves and me, and any of the former drama of unhealthy behavior is nowhere to be found.

Recovery is purely for us. I found it helpful to embrace all that means: including letting everything that did not honor me or respect me, fall away.

Hope this was helpful to you...that is how it was intended!