View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hayfmr

My AW had a severe binge drinking problem for over 20 years. Last August during a binge she became suicidal so I finally got her to agree to go to the hospital for help. Due to the suicide threats she was sent to the mental health unit. While she was there she was diagnosed as Bipolar and put on a treatment program. Her drinking had gotten to the point that I was in the process of filing for divorce when she was diagnosed. At first the Bipolar didn't matter to me I just wanted out and thought it was an excuse. But due to our daughters upcoming wedding I put the divorce on hold. After a while I noticed a major change in her so I kept the divorce on hold and gave her a chance to prove herself. I am happy to report that the meds are working. She is a different person, and it's for the better. She has also not taken a drink in 6 months and our relationship has been repaired. So their is hope. It's all up to him though. My advice to you is to decide what your going to do if he dosen't recover. For myself I have made the decision, if she returns to drinking I am leaving.