Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
Think I'll jump in here. I am following the AVRT method.
Welcome. Have you gone through the crash course and read the book, Darren? If not, you will want to do so, as they will get you up to speed. You'll also want to read through this thread from the beginning, since we've already covered several nuances.

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
I thought it was a little weird at first, but if you look past the "beast" and "voice" analogies it becomes a battle within you- the part that longs for the drink versus the part that knows the bad outcomes. Who will win? Has to be the "good guy" not the "drink".
A couple of things:

The Beast is not an analogy. It is as real as addictive desire itself, for that is what it is. AVRT just names it. The Addictive Voice (AV) is the expression of that desire, in your thoughts and feelings, also very real. You should read this post:

Regarding a 'battle' or an 'argument', while this is a common first reaction, with AVRT, we don't generally argue or debate with the AV. There are a couple notable exceptions to this, where we can intentionally prod the Beast to make it show us its hand, but 'white knuckling' is not the name of the game here. We simply recognize and detach.