View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

I can only relate my ES&H. I went to AA for 5-1/2 months, TOTALLY disregarded everything my sponsor and other old-timers told me about NOT hooking up with a "regular" there. Essentially, I allowed myself not only to get 13th-stepped, but he's the one who introduced me to crack.

A few years later, after lurking on SR for a LONG time, I realized that not only was I an A, I had been a codie since birth and turned to substances to deal with it. Pretty sick.

I'll have 5 years in recovery in a couple of weeks. I've never stepped foot in an al-anon meeting, but I learn from those here who do. I've only gone to one meeting in 5 years, it was my old home group and I happened to be meeting up with one of the old-timer's as I'd hired him as my lawyer and I was in town.

I've learned a lot from people who go to 12-step meetings, those who don't, those who work other programs, etc.

When I finally decided I was done, I grabbed at everything I could that was helping..the majority from people here. Buddhism? Knew very little, but embrace it now from those who mention it here. HP? Mine is God, but I think everyone is entitled to their beliefs. Native American Spirituality? Never knew much about that, either, until a couple friends here enlightened me.

My recovery is mine, and it works for me. It never WOULD have, until I became willing to do whatever I needed to do.

Oh, and as far as happy? I have my bad days, but despite the hard times, I love my life and the awesome people who come into my life BECAUSE I became an A and a codie.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy