View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
klbutcher

Hello everyone, my name is Kerry and my partner Oliver is an alcoholic. I am new to the sober community but I can see why it helps many people.
Oliver has been an addict/alcholic for about seven years. In May 2011 Oliver begged us for help and was admitted into residential rehab for 28 days. He went on to stay sober for five months before using cocaine in November and by the 20th December he has picked up a drink. There was another month without alcohol but using cocaine until three weeks ago when his old drinking pattern imerged. A few days drunk, then sober until pay day the following week! To say I was devestated when he relapsed was an under statement but then I picked myself up and instantly remembered this is HIS problem and if HE wants to fall, then so be it. After all we have been here before and know what to expect. Myself and Olivers family stand united. We will always be there to encourage he into getting help but we will not walk him to the door, that is his journey. We acted quickly and stopped enabling him immediately. We are living our lives regardless of what he is doing. Difficult yes, but necessary too. I can only hope that he finds his way back to recovery, I will never abandon hope. Alcoholism.... it's brutal