View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MentalLoop

Hey Kenny,

Although I drank a bit more than you, it wasn't by much. What I realized though is that my drinking wasn't the root cause of my issues, it was the solution....which makes it particularly frightening. I suspect you are starting down the same path. My anxiety and resentment were starting to balloon. I too told myself it was the stress of the job, and needed a drink at night to take the edge off. Guess what take the edge off really means "quiet the anxiety....aka..numbing myself". The problem with this is that it is self fulfilling. Like the old commercial, I drink more so I can lower my anxiety so I can work harder so I can drink more......That was the beginning of the end for me. The other thing I bet you realize now is that waking up is beginning to suck. You know why? Because you deferred your anxiety till tomorrow, you didn't deal with it.

I have replaced drinking with tea and pretty regular fitness (everyday). I now get enough aerobic exercise to elevate my heart rate to trigger an endorphins release. That seems to decouple my anxiety from my cognitive brain, and let's me actually deal with my fears rather than quiet them down.