View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
I wouldn't wait until I saw what he does before taking an action that could very well be a positive message and a proactive action for him to see. In some ways, getting rid of your own booze shows support for his decision to swear off booze and could further reinforce his decision. If he catches your message behind this action or not, makes no difference. You putting it out there in the world is enough. Aside from the inner quirks of your relationship, why in the world would you need to see what he does first?

The more important question for you is this: why do you feel it's necessary to turn something you can do now, something that has every potential of being positive and proactive, into a reactive future consideration - based on some possible future behavior that you have no control over? If you can do something that has even the slightest possibility of helping and it won't cost you a thing, do it. Full stop.
I was planning on throwing all mine out anyway, but he keeps trying to convince me that I shouldn't punish myself for HIS problem. I quit drinking 17 years ago when he quit, too, and I didn't miss it a bit. I'm sure the same would apply today. I guess I'm just wondering what his motivation is for wanting me to keep it around the house still. I am planning on giving my 3 bottles of wine to a friend who lives close by and she can hang onto them for me and drink them if she and her husband want. I am planning on pouring out my vodka and rum(which I kept around for entertaining as I don't drink anything except wine).

I will not get rid of his stash, and I know where some of it is. That is his job to do. As for Al Anon, yes I have been attending for about 6 weeks but do not have a sponsor yet.
Thank you all for responding, I love responses like the one above that really make me think.