Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lillamy

Go for it. Tread gently. Be brutally honest. Explain addiction to him. That's my advice, which I'm obviously not giving because we don't give advice here...

Let me tell you about me instead. I am in a relationship with a man I have been friends with since I was 16. Over 30 years. He also has a dysfunctional marriage behind him. From the moment we realized our friendship wa turning to love, we set this rule: No BS. No mind games. Complete honesty. And it has worked. Very well.

We did go through a process of "How do I know I want him for him and not just because he's someone who pays attention and is nice?" and many rounds of expecting the other person to react like our exes... But it has been healing and the most calm and honest relationship I've ever been in.

I think the complete honesty is difficult when you come out of an abusive relationship, but every time I *don't* get ridiculed or belittled, I heal and realize that this is what relationships are supposed to be like.

I think I'm too old to want drama. I cherish our "boring" life and am very grateful to have him in my life. Had I not become involved with someone I knew exceedingly well, I would probably never have dated again.