View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
outtolunch

The Glindas

Just 4 years ago, I stumbled upon this forum looking for new ways to control my adult daughter, given her release from her third back to back rehab was just around the corner. At the time, I thought several posters were off their rockers cause they kept yapping about my recovery. I thought they were confused because I am not a drug addict, just a mom who was OBSESSED with doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to snap my daughter out of her addiction.

My own ego was so bloated, at the time, I KNEW I was different and had the power within me to beat her addiction. I was repeatedly hitting bottoms and just kept digging deeper and rationalizing it all, along the way. As it it went on, I nearly bankrupted myself financially, emotionally and physically fighting a battle that in hindsight, was not mine to fight.

I began reading the stickies and then the back stories, thousands of posts looking for answers. What I learned from a Compilation of Glindas ( the good witch in Oz) was that I had the power all along- the power to control the only thing that was controllable, my reaction. Thus began my journey towards letting go of my hopeful fantasies that I could control my daughter's choices and life. The more I let go of my hopeful fantasy, the more I reclaimed control over my own life.

I am forever grateful to the many Glindas who post on this forum.