Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Robby,

I know you are confident in your ability to abstain, so this may indeed not apply to you. I take that statement in the context which Trimpey is writing. AVRT is just the lore, or common wisdom, of self-recovery, drawn from thousands of people who quit on their own, without addiction treatment. In addiction treatment, the implication is that addiction is 'treatable', and that much like aspirin works on a headache, just by taking it, addiction treatment will likewise work on your addiction.

AVRT is not 'addiction treatment', however, certainly not in the usual sense. It is just a paradigm that was created to help facilitate self-recovery, essentially saving people lots of trial and error. Of course, it is certainly possible to recover on your own using something other than AVRT. I think Trimpey is trying to dispel the idea that AVRT works on you, as is the implication with 'treatment'. AVRT doesn't work on you, nor does it 'treat' anything on its own. You have to learn AVRT, and then use it.
I hear you, thanks for that useful explaination. I appreciate the encouraging thoughfulness of your words. Well said, TU. I am confident that I will learn AVRT notwithstanding my initial storehouse of sober experiences. My mind is open and my heart is not jaded, so I have every hope of also incorporating AVRT as a learned skill set as I continue my sober journey.