Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
stillnotdrinkin

I very much enjoy going out to clubs to listen to music and hanging out for a bit. Just DONT DRINK. One thing I notice going out and not drinking is that I am not alone. Many people out are drinking soda or water. I suspect most of them do that because they are not drinkers by nature rather than abstainig drunks. When I drank out at clubs I always thought everyone else there was trying to get good and hammered. Now I realize that was not the case. There are always a few drunks acting in ways they will regret the next day but most people seem to be drinking fairly lightly and many not at all.

Avoiding fun events where there will be drinking will make you resentful of your sober life. Make a firm commitment not to drink when you are out NO MATTER WHAT for the 2 or 4 hours you are going to be there. Then go and have some fun. I will admit that I was anxious in the begining but less and less so as time went on. My latest response to people if I am asked why I am not drinking is that I don't drink because I was getting too good at it. I actually have to avoid sounding proud and boastful that I dont drink....and I am.