Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nycguy83

Thank you all for the responses, food for thought.

Yes Terminally, that is a good point, that the addictive voice is not as simple as an irrational belief that can be disputed.

On the other hand, if our conscious, cerebral-cortex selves is what we are, then in a sense all we can do is strive to subdue our instinctive voice when what it cries out for will destroy us...

Of course this isn't always as easy as it sounds.

I noticed the RR method claims we are in complete control over our bodies, that the addictive voice cannot control our muscles.

That sounds nice but unfortunately is not true... many muscular responses completely circumvent awareness or consciousness and originate in the primitive brain areas as opposed to the cerebral cortex... reflexes, fight or flight response, autonomic nervous system...

I get the point that personal responsibility and empowerment is a much healthier philosophy than is personal powerlessness, but I suppose the reality is a bit more complex than 100% free-will or 100% determinism.

As far as nightclubs, Scottneedspeace, I don't think I will stay away forever. I tend to agree with soberlicious. Behavioral psychology tell us that the cure for a phobia or a stimuli that provokes a visceral response (such as a nightclub causing us to think of alcohol) is exposure which over time leads us to become desensitized to the stimuli, eventually stopping that visceral response...

It doesn't make sense to stay away from live music forever just because I don't drink anymore.

I guess I am just trying to determine when to decide to go out again, this weekend (presidents day here in the US means no work/school monday), or wait until I have more time sober... Again thank you for the views.