View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
geomancer

Viewing Addicts as Sick Children

Many addicts in recovery, including myself, acknowledge that when we're at the mercy of our addiction, we're emotionally stuck in adolescence. We’re irresponsible, illogical, confused, rebellious; engage in high-risks behavior, unable to foresee the consequences of our actions. Friends, family, coworkers, and the public regard us as adults, responsible for our actions and will halt our addiction when we decide to, have had enough, or when we hit bottom. When addicts overdose or die unexpectedly, loved ones often say at least they're at a better place. Perhaps this a way for survivors to console themselves or alleviate their own guilt.

Consider this: most states and many foreign countries allow (under welfare codes) involuntary psychiatric holds for individuals deem to be a danger to themselves or another person. The United Nations General Assembly even passed a resolution relating to this. You may recall Britney Spears' downward spiral. In 2008, her father, James, had her involuntarily committed under California code 5150 and was granted temporary conservatorship. Subsequently, Britney and her father secured restraining orders against individuals deemed to be destructive influences in Britney's life. In my opinion, James saved Britney's life.

So the next time you encounter a family member or loved one battling addiction, I invite you to view them as a scared, sick child -- perhaps in an adult body -- but emotionally, more like a young teen, who desperately needs help, so they don't harm or even kill themselves.

Bill Lee

Last edited by Morning Glory; 02-17-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed book promotion