Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Self-doubt in one's ability to beat the addiction necessarily helps to maintain it. It also obviously suggests future drinking/using, which, by definition, is AV.
I agree with the above statement completely. My agreement does not satisfy my original question though on the quote from pg 41:

Originally Posted by Rational Recovery:TNC --pg 41
"When you doubt AVRT you are only doubting yourself and your own ability to quit your addiction, right now and for all time."

I'm reading this fascinating book with great interest. I am aware of "Recognition Technique" being applied against the Beast -- which is animal desire for the "pleasures" experienced by alcohol addiction, my DOC.

When I have doubts concerning AVRT however, that does not (has not yet anyways) translate to me that I'm doubting myself and my own ability to quit addiction. I wonder if my having already 30 years of abstinence is in play here. I would hope so, LOL.

Interesting. There is much in this book I relate to, and still much that will require discussion before I "come to an understanding" of AVRT. I look forward to those required discussions as I go forward with my readings.

Comments?