View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ag0710

Hi again,
Just wanted to update my post from yesterday. I did have my first Al-anon meeting last night, and overall I would say that it was a sobering yet at the same time positive experience. Seeing the other people in the meeting who have been struggling with alcoholic relatives for decades has made me realize that I am in for a long battle with no quick fix. But I also feel I am taking the first steps to accepting it and taking care of my life rather than worrying every minute about whether my son will ever get sober. I'm still going to worry, but I hope that continuing with these meetings with give me a little more strength and realization that many parents out there are going through the same issues.
I am not a religious person, so there are certain parts of the Al-anon program that I don't find very useful. But just talking about my problems and hearing how other people have coped with this disease is plenty beneficial in itself. So I would recommend to relatives of alcoholics and addicts to at least give it a try.