Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Bill, hope there's no harm nor foul between us. I respect the heck out of you and have appreciated your wisdom and sensibility on this board.

And I couldn't agree with you more about our media and celebrity culture. It is pathetic. I watched (for as long as I could stand it) Kim and Kourtney take Manhattan with my 18 yr old. It was disgusting, listening to their drama when there are "real world" problems going on, like people dying in Syria and potential nuclear threats in Iran. And yes, soldiers dying on foreign soil, fighting to protect our way of life we have grown accustomed to and many, I'm sure, take completely for granted. Until it hits too close to home.

I think the death of Whitney Houston hit that close to us here - in the same way that celebrity deaths of old age hit close to me in regards to my folks. Or psychotic breakdowns and suicides that remind me of the tenuous hold on reality my brother has. This death reminded me of the iron grip addictions have on people and that is just plain old frightening. On the other hand, it makes me take seriously the "one day at a time" adage. Enjoy it while it lasts...