Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
mattmathews

Originally Posted by Willybluedog View Post
And maybe it is the fact that I am an a$$hole, I will not mourn my own mother when she finally drinks herself to death, I hate her. I have no sympathy for those who choose to destroy themselves, who leave pain and destruction in their wake. My sympathy is reserved for the innocent, the ones who deserve so much better from those that were supposed to be good to them.
I hear a lot of pain in that statement Willybluedog. Pain that's been channeled into hate and anger.
I think one of the things that I've learned from my own experience with the alcoholic in my life is that I can hate the disease, without hating the person.
The first step out of the crazy mess we find ourselves in is recognizing that we are truly powerless over alcohol.
I can tell that you don't see that Willybluedog, you can't get beyond thinking that your mom should just be able to control her drinking. Or maybe that if your mom loved you enough, she'd quit drinking for you. And someone like Whitney with all her talent, and money, and powerful friends, and shots at rehab should be even more able to overcome her addiction. And it makes you mad to not see either one of them even try.
For me, Whitney's story is a tragedy because she had soooo much talent, and sooo many people loved her...and she still couldn't or wouldn't take the steps necessary to kick her addiction.
When Amy Winehouse died, I read a really good article by Rabbis Shais Taub that I'd like to share with you.

Rabbi Shais Taub

At the end of his article he says "There is a lesson to be learned from every death."
I know you're in pain Bill, but I'd ask you to let people learn what they can from Whitney's death...maybe it will make a difference to someone, maybe it will save a life.