View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KelleyF

"if an addicts lips are moving , they are lying" - ok I see where this applies to an active addict who just wants to continue using....

but if you have a person in active recovery (whatever their method).... I dont think this statement is one of full blown truth any longer.

I realize of course you must use extreme caution in listening to what the recovering addict says... and they must back up their words with actions.

But what I wonder is.... in some cases how twisted the minds become of the codependant that they can no longer 'see' when the addict is really trying.
They no longer acknowledge improvement or change or growth... because they have built a wall and they are too scared to risk their own feelings again.

As in Lauries case; Im sure she made mistakes in the two years it has taken for her loved ones to begin to trust her; and I know she holds no grudge against them for keeping their distance and doubting her. But at what point did the majority of their mistrust really become unecessary as a protection method for themselves ....and they just didnt see it ?